The light is mounted on a water intake structure about 3.5 miles into Lake Erie from shore. The 100-foot diameter steel and cement crib was constructed in 1904 and is located in approximately 53 feet of water.
The Cleveland Harbor West Pierhead lighthouse sits at the
end of the west breakwater leading to the Port of Cleveland.
Constructed in 1911, the lighthouse was automated in 1965
and still flashes its beacon to alert ships every five seconds.
Marblehead Lighthouse in Marblehead, Ohio, United States, is the oldest lighthouse in continuous operation on the United States side of the Great Lakes. It has guided sailors safely along the rocky shores of Marblehead Peninsula since 1822, and is an active aid to navigation.
After a 60 year absence the Port Clinton lighthouse, a 120-year-old light, was returned to a public spot on Lake Erie. Sixty years ago the light was removed from the break wall and stored in a private marina.